Iran on Tuesday announced its first arrests over the shooting down of a Ukrainian airliner in Tehran.
The Ukraine International Airlines plane was brought down by a missile shortly after takeoff on Wednesday, killing all 176 passengers and crew on board.
DAILY POST reports that Iran’s admitted that its military actually shot down the Ukrainian passenger plane.
Iran made the admission on Saturday days after denying having anything to do with the crash.
The military said the jet turned towards a sensitive site belonging to Iran’s Revolutionary Guards and was then mistaken for a cruise missile.
It, however, attributed the incident to human error while apologising to its citizens and families of the victims.
At a televised news conference, the judiciary announced the first arrests had been made over the mistake.
Spokesman Gholamhossein Esmaili however did not specify how many suspects were arrested.
“Extensive investigations have been carried out and some people have been arrested,” he said
The announcement is coming after President Hassan Rouhani said everyone responsible for the disaster must be punished.Source: