Govt says no decision yet on okada, tricycle restriction
The Lagos State House of Assembly has invited 11 nominees for the State Executive Council, Civil Service Commission and Lagos State House of Assembly Service Commission (LAHASCOM) for final screening on Thursday, January 16, 2020. Chairman of the eight-man ad-hoc Committee on Screening of Governor’s Nominees, Rotimi Abiru, while giving the report of the committee at the plenary yesterday, said that all the nominees met the criteria of the committee.
Abiru said that all the nominees had been screened by the committee and that they all answered the questions put to them and provided all necessary documents. Speaker of the House, Mudashiru Obasa, who said that there was no need to doubt the competence of the committee, said: “The nominees would still be invited by the House to defended their nominations and this would give us an opportunity to know their ability and capability.”
The report of the committee was then adopted as the resolution of the House and motion for its adoption was moved by Abiodun Tobun and supported by Victor Akande. In another development, Lagos State Government yesterday said that it had not taken definitive action yet against the illegal operation of commercial motorcyclists and tricycle operators on restricted routes across the state.
Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, who stated this while briefing State House reporters after an emergency security meeting, said that the delayed action against restriction of motorcyclists and tricycle operators was informed by the need to achieve a generally-acceptable solution to the menace.
Omotoso said that relevant parties and stakeholders had reached out to the government with suggestions and representation that could be adopted to proffer a win-win solution on the matter.
The Security Council, the commissioner said, is currently considering the suggestions and recommendations submitted to the government before coming up with definite plans on the okada menace.He said: “We have just concluded our routine security meeting during which issue of motorcyclists and tricycle operators was discussed exhaustively. For now, no major decision will be taken on the matter. There are several factors for this development, but the main reason is to reckon with various opinions expressed by stakeholders.
“We feel it would not be good enough for the government to make final decision on the matter without considering the opinions of the stakeholders. That would be against the spirit of democracy for which the Sanwo-Olu-led administration stands for.”He said that the decisions to be taken on the matter would reflect the views of all stakeholders and wishes of concerned residents, adding that security of Lagos residents and safety of visitors remain paramount to the government.