NSA Hands Over 128 Rescued Kidnap Victims To Families In Abuja

NSA Hands Over 128 Rescued Kidnap Victims To Families In Abuja


The National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, has reunited 128 kidnap victims rescued by security forces with their families in Abuja.

Speaking at a brief handover ceremony on Monday at the Headquarters of the National Counter Terrorism Centre, Office of the National Security Adviser (NCTC–ONSA), Ribadu dismissed media reports that over 30 of the victims had been killed by their abductors, insisting that all were rescued alive.

He said: “Today, we present a total of 128 persons rescued from Kaura Namoda, Zamfara State. This is a remarkable achievement and a testament to our resolve as a nation. Today is not just about their return — it is about reaffirming our collective determination to create a more secure environment for every single person living within the territorial boundaries of our beautiful country. What matters most is giving relief to our people.

“These victims were brought to the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) not only to secure their safety but also to facilitate their healing process. Healing is as important as the rescue itself. They will be treated for trauma and supported to reintegrate into their families and communities, because we understand that the journey to full recovery requires compassion, care, and resilience. We recognise the courage, sacrifice, and professionalism of our armed forces, the police, intelligence services, and all who worked quietly and diligently to secure these releases.”

Ribadu noted that the government had in recent months reunited several hostages rescued from captivity.
“We have seen mothers reunited with their children, husbands with their wives, and communities made whole again. Each rescue is a victory for the Nigerian people and a crushing blow to the networks of terror that seek to undermine our peace,” he said.

He vowed that there would be no hiding place for those terrorising citizens.
“We will hunt them, we will find them, and we will bring them to justice — or they will meet the same fate as the many kingpins who have already been neutralised by our forces,” Ribadu declared.

He stressed that the government would continue to employ both kinetic and non-kinetic measures in tackling insecurity.
“The government of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will continue to pursue those who terrorise our people, and we will not rest until every community is safe and every citizen can live free from the threat of banditry and terrorism,” he added.

Also speaking, the National Coordinator of the NCTC, Major General Adamu Laka, disclosed that the victims were rescued in two batches following coordinated operations. He said the first batch, comprising 42 individuals — 40 males, seven females, and a toddler — was rescued on August 14, while the second batch of 88 individuals, including 34 males and 54 females, was rescued on August 19.

General Laka explained: “Unfortunately, among the second batch, we lost one of the children due to illness and the extreme fatigue he suffered while in the kidnappers’ camp. Additionally, one of the rescued women gave birth prematurely, and the baby is currently receiving care in an incubator at a medical facility.

“Following their rescue, all victims were placed under the care of the Office of the National Security Adviser, where they received immediate medical attention, psychological support, and rehabilitation. Today’s handover marks another step in our commitment to ensuring that victims of terrorism and banditry are not only rescued but also properly reintegrated into society with dignity and care.”

Meanwhile, a civil society organisation, Partnership Against Violent Extremism (PAVE) Network – PCVE-KIRH — with the support of the Global Community Engagement and Resilience Fund (GCERF) and ActionAid Nigeria — yesterday launched two initiatives aimed at countering terrorist ideologies, promoting peacebuilding and tackling violent extremism in Nigeria.

The initiatives — Youth Against Violent Extremism (YAVE) and the YAVE Youth Content Challenge — were unveiled in Abuja.

Interim National Coordinator of YAVE, Mohammed Sadiq Mustapha, said: “This event is designed to give young people a platform to shape narratives, counter extremist ideologies, and lead initiatives that strengthen peace, inclusivity, and community resilience across Nigeria.”

On the content challenge, he explained: “It will encourage youth-led storytelling and creative advocacy as tools for preventing and countering violent extremism (PCVE). Through this initiative, YAVE seeks to reinforce the critical role of youth as catalysts for change, positioning them not just as stakeholders, but as leaders in shaping a more peaceful and secure society.

“The YAVE Digital Platform is a vibrant, interactive hub tailored to amplify youth voices and foster collaboration among young change-makers working to prevent violent extremism. The platform encourages idea-sharing, project incubation, and storytelling for peace.

“The launch also includes a nationwide digital contest — an inclusive, multimedia competition open to Nigerian youth, inviting submissions in various digital formats such as short films, graphics, photography, poetry, spoken word, essays, and other creative media. The contest aims to spotlight youth innovation and promote peace narratives in both local and national contexts.”

The theme of the initiatives is: “Empowering Youth Voices, Building Resilient Communities.”

Linus Aleke 

Follow us on:



Source: Arise

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *