‘Land was allocated without approval’ — Wike speaks on demolition of estate in Abuja

Share this news on:


Nyesom Wike, minister of the federal capital territory
(FCT), says the land allocated to Praco International Limited, a real estate
firm, was done without approval.

 

BACKGROUND

 

Last week, the real estate firm accused the Federal Capital
Development Authority (FCDA) of “illegal” demolition of its property in Abuja.

 

Chukwudubem Ezekwelu, the firm’s project manager, said the
estate situated at plot 581, cadastral zone, Kugbo, with registration number
FCDA/DC/BP/ASD/29163, was demolished despite “authentic and lawful title and
approvals on the property”.

 

He said the estate developers presented a substantive court
order from an FCT high court to prevent the demolition of the property, but
officials of the development control department of the FCDA “rebuffed and
ignored” it.

 

WIKE: WE TOLD THE FIRMS NOT TO DO ANYTHING ON THE LAND

 

Speaking with reporters on Tuesday in Abuja, Wike said there
was no minister in the FCT during the period which the land was allocated to
the estate developers.

The minister said he had a meeting with estate developers
and instructed them to halt construction on their sites until a final decision
is taken.

 

“They (estate developers) came with their lawyers, senior
advocates, and I said look, what is this? Company A presented their own
(documents), company B presented their own, company C, company D, company E,”
Wike said.

 

“I said okay, I am going to seek for advice from external
solicitors. I am not going to take from inside house because the legal
secretariat and land department have been so compromised.

 

“So, I sought the views of very senior lawyers. Two of them
wrote to me different opinions but arriving at the same thing.

 

 “First of all, what
happened? This land was allocated when there was no minister. The minister left
May 29th 2023. By June, the land was allocated by the director of land.

 

“When we met with the companies, we told them don’t do
anything again until we are able to take a final decision. Do you know what
happened? These guys thinking they are too smart went on and started fencing
and then allocated the land to people to buy.

 

“They sued me as FCT minister. I am not even aware of the
suit. You know these guys… they think we are in PDP Anambra state. They have
court judgements in their pockets.”



Source link: Nigerianeye

Share this news on: