The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, on Thursday confirmed that 11,566 police personnel previously attached to VIPs, politicians, private individuals and special beats across Nigeria have been withdrawn and redeployed to regular policing duties.
The action follows a direct presidential directive issued by President Bola Tinubu on 23 November 2025.Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja, Egbetokun described the move as a major step to address the long-standing manpower shortage on the streets and strengthen frontline operations at a time of rising insecurity.
“The President has spoken and I will implement it to the letter. No governor, no friend, no family member will pressure me again. This is a presidential directive,” the IGP declared.
He dismissed viral social media claims that over 120,000 officers were guarding private individuals as “complete falsehoods,” stressing that the Nigeria Police Force does not even have that many personnel in total.
“How many police officers do we have in Nigeria that 120,000 will be attached to VIPs? The verified figure from the presidential committee shows only 11,566 officers were involved in such duties nationwide,” he said.
The IGP noted that although similar withdrawal orders had been given in the past, presidential backing this time would guarantee full compliance.
The 11,566 officers, he added, are now being strategically posted to divisions, area commands, highways and high-risk zones to boost visibility, rapid response and overall operational capacity.
Egbetokun assured that the welfare of officers, especially those deployed to rural and difficult terrains, remains a priority.
On recent security operations, the police chief disclosed that 822 suspects were arrested for various violent crimes, 249 firearms and 20,989 rounds of ammunition recovered, 38 vehicles seized and 232 kidnapped victims rescued in the last operational period.
Ahead of the festive season, he announced intensified highway patrols, intelligence-led raids, deployment of surveillance drones and joint operations with other security agencies on major routes and border areas.
The School Protection Squad, he insisted, remains fully active, adding that a thorough investigation is ongoing into recent breaches while efforts are being doubled to prevent future attacks on schools.
The Force warned against misinformation and attempts to politicise the VIP withdrawal directive, stating that official guidelines and approved exceptions (if any) will be communicated only through proper channels.
With the latest redeployment, the Nigeria Police Force says it is now better positioned to confront emerging threats and deliver improved security to all Nigerians.
Click to signup for FREE news updates, latest information and hottest gists everyday
Advertise on NigerianEye.com to reach thousands of our daily users
