Police disowns viral memo on withdrawal of officers from VIPs

Police disowns viral memo on withdrawal of officers from VIPs



The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has dismissed a document circulating on social media alleging that police officers attached to several high-profile individuals had been ordered to report back to the 50 Police Mobile Force (PMF) Squadron in Abuja.

In a statement posted on Force’s official X handle on Friday, Benjamin Hundeyin, Force Public Relations Officer, described the document as fake and misleading.

The memo, purportedly signed by one Suleiman Abdullahi (CSP), who was identified as the Admin Officer of the squadron, listed several prominent Nigerians whose police protection was allegedly affected.

Read also: Police withdrawal order to upend N108bn VIP security economy

The names listed in the forged document include Atiku Abubakar, former Vice President; Namadi Sambo, former Vice President; Nyesom Wike, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory; Aisha Buhari, former First Lady; Kudirat Kekere-Ekun, Supreme Court Justice; Ogiame Atuwatse III, Olu of Warri; Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, WTO Director-General; Ahmed Lawan, former Senate President; Tanko Al-Makura (Senator), Ramatu Tijjani, Yusuf Gagdi, Ibrahim Massari and others.

The Police clarified that no officer bearing the name “CSP Suleiman Abdullahi” is serving with the 50 PMF Squadron, adding that the position of Admin Officer in any PMF Squadron is not held by an officer of the rank of Chief Superintendent of Police.

According to the statement, the document was a deliberate attempt to sow confusion and mislead the public about the ongoing implementation of the Presidential Directive ordering the withdrawal of police personnel from VIP duties.

“For emphasis, the Nigeria Police Force confirms that the implementation of the Presidential Directive on the withdrawal of police officers from VIP duties has indeed commenced.

“However, this process is being carried out in a structured, phased, and professional manner to ensure that no security vacuum is created that could be exploited by criminal elements,” the statement said.

The Force reassured Nigerians that adequate measures have been put in place to maintain law and order throughout the transition period and emphasised that public safety is not at risk.

The Police also urged citizens to rely solely on official communication channels for accurate information and avoid circulating unverified documents capable of undermining public confidence.

Reiterating its commitment to transparency and accountability, the NPF said it remains focused on safeguarding lives and property across the country.

 



Source: Businessday

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *