Jonathan returns to Nigeria after evacuation from coup-hit Guinea-Bissau

Jonathan returns to Nigeria after evacuation from coup-hit Guinea-Bissau



Former President Goodluck Jonathan has returned to Nigeria after being evacuated from Guinea-Bissau following a military takeover in the West African nation.

Jonathan arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja on Thursday evening. A video from the airport, broadcast by Arise TV, showed him stepping off a Guinea-Bissau government aircraft as officials and supporters gathered to receive him.

He had been in the country leading the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission for Sunday’s presidential and legislative polls. His team was still carrying out its mandate when soldiers announced they had seized power, suspended the electoral process and taken control “until further notice.”

Read Also: AU, ECOWAS condemn Guinea-Bissau military coup, demand restoration of constitutional order

Following reports that Jonathan might be stranded, the House of Representatives earlier on Thursday urged the federal government to take diplomatic steps to secure his safe return.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs later confirmed his evacuation.
“Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is very safe and out of Guinea-Bissau,” ministry spokesperson Kimiebi Ebienfa said in a statement. “He left on a special flight with members of his delegation, including Mohamed Chambas.”

Nigeria has said it will work with regional and international partners to help restore constitutional order in Guinea-Bissau.



Source: Businessday

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *