
Military officers in Guinea-Bissau have seized power, halted the electoral process, and announced that they will run the country indefinitely.
Tension escalated after both incumbent President Umaro Embaló and his main challenger, Fernando Dias, declared victory on Monday despite the absence of official results from the electoral commission. Each camp claimed to have surpassed the 50 percent threshold required to avoid a runoff.

ECOWAS, in a statement on Wednesday, noted that the election period had already been overshadowed by deep security, political, and institutional concerns. Shortly before campaigns began, the government said it had foiled an attempted coup, accusing Brigadier-General Daba Nawalna of orchestrating the plan.
Later on Wednesday, Embaló told Jeune Afrique that he was detained around 1 p.m. inside the presidential palace. Others arrested included armed forces chief Biaguê Na Ntan, Interior Minister Botché Candé, and deputy chief of staff Mamadu Ture.
The coup faction released a statement identifying itself as the “High Military Command for the Restoration of National Security and Public Order,” claiming it acted in response to a destabilisation scheme involving local politicians and a notorious drug trafficker, according to Africa Report.
Although the officers did not use violence, Embaló described their actions as a coup. The electoral commission is scheduled to release official results on Thursday.