Suspected bandits on Wednesday invaded Aiyetoro Kiri, a settlement in Kabba/Bunu Local Government Area of Kogi State, killing two residents in the process.
The armed men were said to have stormed the community and opened fire indiscriminately to scare residents.
According to locals, the attackers appeared to be heading toward the town’s high school.
SPONSOR AD
However, members of the Kiri Vigilante Group swiftly mobilised and confronted the intruders, preventing the hoodlums from abducting any residents, including students.
In the ensuing exchange of gunfire, one vigilante member reportedly lost his life, while another resident was hit by a stray bullet.
“The gun-wielding hoodlums came into the town shooting sporadically, forcing people to scamper for safety. Initially, residents said they were moving towards the high school. I learnt the vigilantes blocked the route and prevented them from accessing the area. Two people were reported killed,” a resident said.
The Chairman of Kabba/Bunu Local Government Area, Hon. Zacchaeus Dare Michael, confirmed the incident in a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Omofa John.
“The bandits attacked, and they were resisted and repelled by our team of security men. Though there were casualties—one hunter and one Hausa man killed by stray bullets—the Joint Task Force has intensified operations to restore confidence in the area,” he said.
He added that joint security teams and local vigilantes were combing surrounding bushes, assuring that operations were ongoing and normalcy had been restored. He also warned the public and social media users against circulating unverified information, saying those found culpable would face the law.
Meanwhile, the Security Adviser to the Kogi State Government, Commander Jerry Omodara (rtd), dismissed rumours circulating on social media that bandits invaded Kiri High School and kidnapped students.
He urged the public to disregard the reports, describing them as false.
Efforts to reach the Police Public Relations Officer of the Kogi State Command, CSP William Aya, for comments were unsuccessful as he did not respond to inquiries as of the time of filing this report.
This incident comes just days after widespread rumours of planned bandit attacks on schools and communities, particularly in Kogi East, following what was described as a leaked police intelligence report.
The police later debunked the report in a statement signed by CSP William Aya on Tuesday.
As a Nigerian living here or in the diaspora, DO YOU HAVE A PLAN B? Just in case anything goes wrong, is there a side business you can fall back on? We show you step by step how you too can start earning US Dollars consistently. Nigerians can now make as much as $20,000 to $35,000 with premium domains. Ideal for business owners, entrepreneurs, and workers.
Click here to find out how it works